05 November 2009

Can I backup my DNS server without backing up all the system state data?

Question: I have my DNS server on Windows server. I want to backup my DNS server and all the records so if my server crash, I can reinstall my all the DNS zones and records. How can I backup my DNS server without backing up all the system state data? (I mean only backup of DNS server and its data.)

Answer: If you are using Active Directory-integrated DNS, then your DNS information is stored in Active Directory itself, and you'll need to back up the entire system state. If not, however, you can back up the zone files themselves from the ~winntsystem32DNS directory. An even better idea would be to set up a secondary DNS server to provide redundancy, so that your clients will still be able to perform name resolution if your primary DNS server fails.

No comments:

Acrobat Reader

To download Acrobat Reader,Click here

Go-Global Software

To download GO-Global,Click here